Located on the corner of West Beach Road and Military Road, the Blueline Drive-In opened in December 1954. It was the first drive-in theatre in South Australia. On opening night it played a “Heckle and Jeckle” cartoon, a News “featurette” and the main film “Genevieve”.
There were two nightly sessions starting at 8.00pm and 10.00pm. A full house was predicted for the opening, but in fact the press reported:
“… there were tangled traffic scenes in the area when thousands of motorists tried to see the opening. Cars were queued for miles and many just parked outside on the side of the road hoping to watch the films from outside the fence”.
The Drive-In closed in November 1998.