Corner of Seaview Rd & North St
Was this building once a picture theatre?
The Town Hall opened in 1922 with the annual Henley Carnival contributing £1,500 (pounds) to the costs. The foundation stone was laid by Mayor Beck with a silver trowel. School children then filed past, each tapping the stone three times with the trowel in what was thought to be a Masonic Lodge ceremony to declare it to be duly laid, square, level and plumb. A bottle containing newspapers, coins and a list of Council members was placed under it.
The Hall was used as the Odeon picture theatre for many years, its last program showing on December 20, 1961. It is currently used for Tai Kwando, computing and dancing.
Be sure to complete the 'Town Hall Challenge' below before moving to the next location.